If you’re facing driving under the influence (DUI) charges for the first time, you may feel like your life has been put on pause, and for good reason. Will you have to go to jail? Will you lose your driver’s license? How much would a conviction affect your auto insurance premiums and for how long?
Supposing you are 21 or older, if you are convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in Miami-Dade County, the basic penalties include: a fine between $500 and $2,000, probation, up to 9 months in jail, up to one year driver’s license revocation, and DUI School.
The above are just the basic penalties. Let’s take a look at how a DUI conviction can affect your life in other ways:
- A DUI can bar you from travelling to Canada for years.
- If you’re a permanent resident, a drug-related DUI or a felony DUI can trigger deportation proceedings.
- A DUI can affect a child custody battle, especially if your child was in the vehicle at the time of the DUI arrest.
- A DUI can bar you from obtaining certain professional licenses.
- A DUI can cause you to lose your job. Since Florida is an at-will employment state, employers can fire people for DUIs.
- A DUI can affect employment opportunities for years to come.
- A felony DUI can affect your ability to possess a firearm.
- A DUI can ruin college scholarship opportunities.
- A DUI can get you kicked off a college sport team.
- A DUI, especially a felony DUI can prevent you from travelling to certain countries outside of the United States.
- A DUI can bar you from obtaining Security Clearance.
- A DUI can affect a career in the Armed Forces.
As you can see, the consequences of a DUI conviction in Florida go far beyond the standard fines and penalties imposed by the courts. If you are facing DUI charges in Miami, you should see if you qualify for DUI diversion through the Back on Track program.
The DUI defendants who successfully complete this program are able to avoid a DUI conviction, so it’s definitely better than the alternative!
Do you qualify for the Back on Track program? To find out, contact my firm today to schedule a free case evaluation!